James Perone - Publications:
Album: A Guide to Pop Music's Most Provocative, Influential,
and Important Creations (4 volumes). Santa Barbara, CA:
Praeger Publishers, 2012.
Rockers, and the Music of the British Invasion.
Westport, CT: Praeger Publishers, 2009.
Words and Music of Prince. Westport, CT: Praeger
Words and Music of David Bowie. Westport, CT:
Praeger Publishers, 2007.
Words and Music of Carole King. Westport, CT:
Praeger Publishers, 2006.
Sound of Stevie Wonder: His Words and Music.
Westport, CT: Praeger Publishers, 2006.
and Arts Fair. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 2005.
of the Counterculture Era. Westport, CT: Greenwood
Moreau Gottschalk: A Bio-Bibliography. Westport, CT:
Greenwood Press, 2002.
of the Vietnam Conflict. Westport, CT: Greenwood
Simon: A Bio-Bibliography. Westport, CT: Greenwood
Press, 2000. [Named a finalist for Best History and Best
Discography in the category "Best Research in General Popular
Music" by the Association for Recorded Sound Collections, 2001]
- Carole King: A Bio-Bibliography. Westport, CT:
Greenwood Press, 1999.
- Elvis Costello: A Bio-Bibliography. Westport,
CT: Greenwood Press, 1998.
- Form and Analysis Theory: A Bibliography.
Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1998.
- Harmony Theory: A Bibliography. Westport, CT: Greenwood
- Musical Anthologies for Analytical Study: A Bibliography.
Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1995.
- Howard Hanson: A Bio-Bibliography. Westport, CT:
Greenwood Press, 1993.
- "Pluralistic Strategies in Musical Analysis: A Study of
Selected Works of William Albright." Ph.D. dissertation. State
University of New York at Buffalo, 1988.
- "The Descending Diminished Seventh and the Chromatic Descent
as Structural Motives in W.A. Mozart's Serenade No. 12 in C
Minor, K. 388, First Movement." Master of Arts thesis.
State University of New York at Buffalo, 1984.
Music Theory-related Articles
- "Hanson, Howard." Revision and expansion of Ruth Watanabe's
1980 article. In The New Grove Dictionary of Music and
Musicians, 2nd edition. London: Grove's Dictionaries,
- "Chromatic Harmony in the Waltzes of Scott Joplin: Source
Material for Musical Analysis." Music Theory: Explorations
and Applications (Duquesne University) 7 (1999).
- "The Theory of Harmonic Root Motion: A New Approach to
Tonality." Music Theory: Explorations and Applications
(Duquesne University) 6 (1997).
- "The Choral Music of William Albright." The American
Organist 27/3 (March 1993).
- "The Compositional Style of William Albright," "The
Compositional Style of Petr Kotik," and "The Graphic Notation of
Anestis Logothetis." Essays in the book Contemporary
Composers. London: St. James Press, 1992.
- "The Projection Quality Index." Interface 17/2 (1988).
- "Tonal Implications and the Role of the Symmetrical Hexachord
in Alban Berg's Four Pieces for Clarinet and Piano, Opus 5,
No. 2." Interface 16/1-2 (1987).
- "The Descending Diminished Seventh and the Chromatic Descent
as Structural Motives in W.A. Mozart's Serenade No. 12 in C
Minor, K. 388, First Movement." Journal of the Science and
Practice of Music Vol. 2 (1985).
- "Toward a Systemization of Segmentation." Interface
Woodwind-related and Miscellaneous Publications
- Review of Carole
King: The Legendary Demos. Forthcoming in
the Journal of American Music.
- "Through Music, It Is a Small World." Triad 64/6
- "Hanson's 100th: A Call to Action for Music Educators." Triad
63/4 (February-March 1996).
- "Oh No! Not Another High D!" Director 3 (February
- "The Clarinet Section: More Balancing Acts than a Three-Ring
Circus." Director 3 (February 1996).
- Freelance music performance reviews for the Alliance
- Designed, scripted, and produced the Cassette Studies course
"Masterpieces of Music" for Canisius College, 1991.
- "An Introduction to Polyphonic Melody Performance on the
Flute." The Flutist Quarterly 16/4 (Fall 1991).
- "Mid-Day Musicians: Where Do They Go From Here?" Canisius
College Chronicle 19/5 (February 1990).
- "The E.B.M.A. and Sea." Blue Jacket (Japan) 24 (1988).
Co-authored with Michael Basinski.
- Program notes for the Buffalo Philharmonic Goes to College
Concerts. Canisius College. October 1988 to May 1991.
- "About Sea: The Album by the E.B.M.A." Tempus Fugit
(Belgium) 7/7 (1988). Co-authored with Michael Basinski.
- Contributor to RILM Abstracts of Music Literature from
1987 to 1993.
- "Computer BINGO Caller." Antic: The Atari Resource 4/9
- "Three Essential Sources of Orchestral Excerpts for Clarinet."
ClariNetwork 4/4 (Holiday 1985).
- Review of Why Jazz Happened
by Marc Myers. Forthcoming in Library Journal.
- Review of Groove
Interrupted: Loss, Renewal, and the Music of New Orleans
by Keith Spera. Library
Journal 136/12 (July 1, 2011).
- Review of Dancing
Barefoot: The Patti Smith Story by Dave
Journal 136/11 (June 15, 2011).
- Review of New
Atlantis: Musicians Battle for the Survival of New
Orleans by John Swenson. Library Journal 136/7
(April 15, 2011).
- Review of No Sympathy for
the Devil: Christian Pop Music and the Transformation of
American Evangelism by David W. Stowe. Library Journal 136/3
(February 15, 2011).
- Review of A Biographical
Guide to the Great Jazz and Pop Singers by Will
Journal Online "Xpress Reviews" (December 2, 2010), http://www.libraryjournal.com/lj/reviewsexpress/888297-289/xpress_reviewsfirst_look_at_new.html.csp.
- Review of Fab: An
Intimate Life of Paul McCartney by Howard Sounes.
Library Journal 135/17
(October 15, 2010).
- Review of Chinaberry
Sidewalks: A Memoir by Rodney Crowell. Library Journal 135/15
(September 15, 2010).
- Review of Starting
Over: The Making of John Lennon and Yoko Ono's Double
Fantasy by Ken Sharp. Library Journal 135/15 (September 15, 2010).
- Review of Composed
by Roseanne Cash. Library
Journal 135/12 (July 1, 2010).
- Review of Little Girl
Blue: The Life of Karen Carpenter by Randy L.
Journal 135/8 (May 1, 2010).
- Review of Echoes: The
Complete History of Pink Floyd by Glenn Povey. Library Journal 135/4
(March 1, 2010).
- Review of Tammy
Wynette: Tragic County Queen by Jimmy
Journal 135/1 (January 1, 2010).
- Review of And Party Every
Day: The Inside Story of Casablanca Records by
Larry Harris. Library
(October 16, 2009).
- Review of The Velvet
Underground: An Illustrated History of A Walk on the
Wild Side by Jim DeRogatis. Library Journal 134/16
(October 1, 2009).
- Review of Paul
McCartney: A Life by Peter Ames Carlin. Library Journal 134/15
(September 15, 2009).
- Review of All Hopped Up and
Ready to Go: Music from the Streets of New York, 1927-77
by Tony Fletcher. Library
Journal 134/14 (September 1, 2009).
- Review of White Light/White
Heat: The Velvet Underground Day-By-Day by Richie
"Xpress Reviews," http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6663613.html
(June 5, 2009).
- Review of How the Beatles
Destroyed Rock 'n' Roll: An Alternative History of
American Popular Music by Elijah Wald. Library Journal 134/8 (May
- Review of Wish You Were
Here: An Essential Guide to Your Favorite Music Scenes
by Leslie Simon and Trevor Kelley. Library Journal 134/4
(March 1, 2009).
- Review of Record Makers and Breakers by John Broven. Library
Journal 134/1 (January 1, 2009).
- Review of Hotter Than That: The Trumpet, Jazz, and
American Culture by Krin Gabbard. Library Journal
133/16 (October 1, 2008).
- Review of Moving to Higher Ground: How Jazz Can Change
Your Life by Wynton Marsalis, with Geoffrey C. Ward. Library
Journal 133/13 (August 15, 2008).
- Review of When We Get to Surf City by Bob Greene. Library
Journal 133/7 (April 15, 2008).
- Review of Sing Me Back Home: Love, Death, and Country
Music by Dana Jennings. Library Journal 133/4
(March 1, 2008).
- Review of Playing the Changes: Milt Hinton's Life in
Stories and Photographs by Milt Hinton, David G. Berger,
and Holly Maxson. Library Journal 133/2 (February 1,
- Review of Country Music Originals: The Legends and the
Lost by Tony Russell. Library Journal 132/17
(October 15, 2007).
- Review of Being Prez by David Gelly. Library
Journal Online. "Xpress Reviews." (August 15,
- Review of Twenty Thousand Roads: The Ballad of Gram
Parsons and His Cosmic American Music by David Meyer. In
Library Journal Online "Xpress Reviews." http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6470625.html.
(August 1, 2007).
- Review of Live Fast, Love Hard: The Faron Young Story by
Diekman. Library Journal 132/13 (August 1, 2007).
- Review of Marooned: The Next Generation of Desert Island
Discs by Phil Freeman. Library Journal 132/11
(June 15, 2007).
- Review of Inside the Music of Brian Wilson by Philip
Lambert. Library Journal 132/6 (April 1, 2007).
- Review of Nirvana: The Biography by Everett True. Library
Journal 132/4 (March 1, 2007).
- Review of The Label: The Biography of Columbia Records
by Gary Marmorstein. Library Journal 132/2 (February 1,
- Review of The Show I'll Never Forget. Library
Journal 131/20 (December 1, 2006).
- Review of Da Capo Best Music Writing 2006. Library
Journal 131/19 (November 15, 2006).
- Review of Big Boss Man: The Life & Music of Bluesman
Jimmy Reed by Will Romano. Library Journal 131/16
(October 1, 2006).
- Review of The Blue Moon Boys by Ken Burke and Dan
Griffin. Library Journal 131/13 (August 1, 2006).
- Review of The Incredible Band of John Philip Sousa by
Paul Bierley. Library Journal 131/12 (July 1, 2006).
- Review of The Producer: John Hammond and the Soul of
American Music by Dunstin Prial. Library Journal
131/11 (June 15, 2006).
- Review of Chicago Blues: Portraits and Stories by
David Whiteis. Library Journal 131/9 (May 15, 2006).
- Review of Body Piercing Saved My Life: Inside the
Phenomenon of Christian Rock by Andrew Beaujon. Library
Journal 131/7 (April 15, 2006).
- Review of Laurel Canyon: The Inside Story of Life in
L.A.'s Legendary Rock-and-Roll Neighborhood by Michael
Walker. Library Journal
131/6 (April 1, 2006).
- Review of American Popular Music edited by Richard
Carlin. Library Journal 131/2 (February 1, 2006).
- Review of Paul McCartney by Christopher Stanford. Library
Journal 131/1 (January 15, 2006).
- Review of Here Comes the Sun: The Spiritual and Musical
Journey of George Harrison by Joshua M. Greene. Library
Journal 130/20 (December 15, 2005).
- Review of Memories of John Lennon, ed. Yoko Ono. Library
Journal 130/18 (November 1, 2005).
- Review of Grievous Angel: An Intimate Biography of Gram
Parsons by Jessica Hundley with Polly Parsons. Library
Journal 130/16 (October 1, 2005).
- Review of Lennon Revealed by Larry Kane. Library
Journal 130/15 (September 15, 2005).
- Review of And They All Sang by Studs Terkel. Published
in Library Journal Online. www.libraryjournal.com.
- Review of Continuum Encyclopedia of Popular Music of the
World. Library Journal 130/12 (July 1, 2005).
- Review of The Ties that Bind: Bruce Springsteen A to E to
Z, ed. Gary Graff. Library Journal 130/10 (June
- Review of All Yesterday's Parties: The Velvet Underground
in Print, 1966-1970, ed. Clinton Heylin. Library
Journal 130/8 (May 1, 2005).
- Review of Inside Out: A Personal History of Pink Floyd
by Nick Mason. Library Journal 130/7 (April 15, 2005).
- Review of Dizzy: The Life and Times of John Birks
Gillespie by Donald L. Maggin. Library Journal
130/5 (March 15, 2005).
- Review of Shout! : The Beatles in Their Generation,
revised and updated edition by Philip Norman. Library
Journal 130/2 (February 1, 2005).
- Review of The Wheel of Fortune: The Official Autobiography
by Edith Piaf. Library Journal 130/2 (February 1, 2005).
- Review of I Feel Good: A Memoir of a Life of Soul by
James Brown. Library Journal 130/1 (January 2005).
- Review of Footprints: The Life and Work of Wayne Shorter
by Michelle Mercer. Library Journal 129/20 (December 1,
- Review of Encyclopedia of Recorded Sound, 2nd edition.
Library Journal 129/19 (November 15, 2004).
- Review of Frank Zappa: A Biography by Barry Miles. Library
Journal 129/16 (October 1, 2004).
- Review of Bobby Darin: A Life by Michael Starr. Library
Journal 129/16 (October 1, 2004).
- Review of Memories Are Made of This: Dean Martin through
His Daughter's Eyes by Deana Martin. Library Journal
129/14 (September 1, 2004). The review is accompanied by a
transcript of a brief interview I conducted with the author.
- Review of The A to X of Alternative Music by Steve
Taylor. Library Journal 129/13 (August 15, 2004).
- Review of Luther: The Life and Longing of Luther Vandross
by Craig Seymour. Library Journal 129/12 (July 15,
- Review of The Facts on File Dictionary of Music by
Christine Ammer. Library Journal 129/11 (June 15, 2004).
- Review of Moanin' at Midnight: The Life and Times of
Howlin' Wolf by James Segrest and Mark Hoffman. Library
Journal 129/9 (May 15, 2004).
- Review of Music Scenes: Local, Translocal, and Virtual,
ed. Andy Bennett and Richard A. Peterson. Library Journal 129/7
(April 15, 2004).
- Review of All Music Guide to Country, 2nd ed. Library
Journal 129/6 (April 1, 2004).
- Review of Baker's Biographical Dictionary of Popular Music
Since 1990 . Library Journal 129/3 (February 15,
- Review of Jazz on Record: The First Sixty Years by
Scott Yanow. Library Journal 129/2 (February 1, 2004).
- Review of The Billboard Illustrated Encyclopedia of Music.
Library Journal 129/1 (January 15, 2004).
- Review of Yodel-Ay-Ee-Oooo: The Secret History of Yodeling
Around the World by Bart Plantenga. Library Journal.
128/19 (November 15, 2003).
- Review of Friends along the Way: A Journey through Jazz
by Gene Lees. Library Journal 128/18 (November 1, 2003).
- Review of Louis Armstrong: The Offstage Story of Satchmo
by Michael Cogswell. Library Journal 128/18 (November 1,
- Review of Encyclopedia of World Pop Music, 1980-2001
by Stan Jeffries. Library Journal. 128/16 (October 1,
- Review of The Secrets of Songwriting: Leading Songwriters
Reveal How to Find Inspiration and Success by Susan
Tucker. Library Journal 128/14 (September 1, 2003).
- Review of Chaka! Through the Fire by Chaka Khan. Library
Journal 128/13 (August 15, 2003).
- Review of All Shook Up: How Rock 'n' Roll Changed America
by Glenn Altschuler. Library Journal 128/12 (July 15,
- Review of The Women of Country Music: A Reader, ed.
Charles K. Wolfe and James E. Akenson. Library Journal.
128/11 (June 15, 2003).
- Review of Temples of Sound: Inside the Great Recording
Studios by Jim Cogan and William Clark. Library
Journal 128/10 (June 1, 2003).
- Review of Myself Among Others by George Wein with Nate
Chinen. Library Journal 128/7 (April 15, 2003).
- Review of Jelly's Blues: The Life, Music, and Redemption
of Jelly Roll Morton by Howard Reich and William Gaines. Library
Journal 128/5 (March 15, 2003).
- Review of Me and Bobby D.: A Memoir by Steve Karmen.
Library Journal. 128/4 (March 1, 2003).
- Review of Country Music: A Biographical Dictionary by
Richard Carlin. Library Journal 128/2 (February 1,
- Review of Ben Sidran: A Life in the Music by Ben
Sidran. Library Journal 128/1 (January 1, 2003).
- Review of Sonic Cool: The Life and Death of Rock 'n' Roll
by Joe S. Harrington. Library Journal 127/20 (December
- Review of Encyclopedia of Contemporary Christian Music
by Mark Allan Powell. Library Journal 127/18 (November
- Review of Tropical Truth: A Story of Music and Revolution
in Brazil by Caetano Veloso. Library Journal
127/17 (October 15, 2002).
- Review of The New York Times Essential Library: Jazz: A
Critic's Guide to the 100 Most Important Recordings by Ben
Ratliff. Library Journal 127/15 (September 15, 2002).
- Review of Jazz Modernism: From Ellington and Armstrong to
Matisse and Joyce by Alfred Appel. Library Journal
127/13 (August 15, 2002).
- Review of The Green Book of Songs by Subject: The Thematic
Guide to Popular Music by Jeff Green. Library Journal
127/12 (July 15, 2002).
- Review of Will You Miss Me When I'm Gone? The Carter
Family and Their Legacy in American Music by Mark
Zwonitzer and Charles Hirshberg. Library Journal 127/10
(June 1, 2002).
- Review of Louisiana Music: A Journey from R&B to
Zydeco, Jazz to Country, Blues to Gospel, Cajun Music to Swamp
Pop to Carnival Music and Beyond by Rick Koster. Library
Journal 127/7 (April 15, 2002).
- Review of Don't Get Above Your Raisin': Country Music and
the Southern Working Class by Bill C. Malone. Library
Journal 127/3 (March 1, 2002).
- Review of Hank Williams: Snapshots from the Lost Highway
by Colin Escott and Kira Florita. Library Journal 126/20
(December 1, 2001).
- Review of Hank Williams, So Lonesome. Library
Journal 126/20 (December 1, 2001).
- Review of Bill Wyman's Blues Odyssey: A Journey to Music's
Heart and Soul by Bill Wyman and Richard Havers. Library
Journal 126/17 (October 15, 2001).
- Review of Where Dead Voices Gather by Nick Tosches. Library
Journal 126/13 (August 1, 2001).
- Review of Blue Nippon: Authenticating Jazz in Japan by
E. Taylor Atkins. Library Journal 126/12 (July 1, 2001).
- Review of Jazz in the Bittersweet Blues of Life by
Wynton Marsalis and Carl Vigeland. Library Journal
126/10 (June 1, 2001)
- Review of The King of All, Sir Duke: Ellington and the
Artistic Revolution by Peter Lavezolli. Library
Journal 126/6 (April 1, 2001).
- Review of Baker's Biographical Dictional of Musicians,
ed. Nicolas Slonimsky. Library Journal 126/4 (March 1,
- Review of America's Musical Life: A History by Richard
Crawford. Library Journal 126/1 (January 1, 2001).
- Review of Bing Crosby: A Pocketful of Dreams, The Early
Years, 1903-1940 by Gary Giddins. Library Journal
125/20 (December 1, 2000).
- Review of Jazz : A History of America's Music
by Geoffrey C. Ward and Ken Burns. Library Journal
125/18 (November 1, 2000).
- Review of The Making of "Kind of Blue" by Eric
Nisenson. Library Journal 125/17 (October 15, 2000).
- Review of Collected Works: A Journal of Jazz 1954-2000
by Whitney Balliett. Library Journal 125/15 (September
- Review of The Bartok Companion, ed. Malcolm Gillies. Library
Journal 119/9 (May 15, 1994).
- Review of Mozart and Posterity by Gernot Gruber. Library
Journal 119/8 (May 1. 1994).
- Review of Nicolas Slonimsky : The First Hundred Years
by Nicolas Slonimsky, ed. Richard Kostelanetz. Library
Journal 119/6 (April 1, 1994).
- Review of A History of the Concerto by Michael Thomas
Roeder. Library Journal 119/3 (February 15, 1994).
- Review of The Marriage Diaries of Robert and Clara
Schumann, ed. Gerd Nauhaus. Library Journal 118/19
(November 15, 1993).
- Review of Grieg and Delius, ed. Lionel Carley. Library
Journal 118/17 (October 15, 1993).
- Review of Ole Bull by Einar Ingvald Haugen and Camilla
Cai. Library Journal 118/9 (May 15, 1993).
- Review of Music and the Mind by Anthony Storr. Library
Journal 117/17 (October 15, 1992).
- Review of The Wagner Handbook. Library Journal
117/15 (September 15, 1992).
- Review of A Lester Young Reader, ed. Porter. Library
Journal 116/19 (November 15, 1991).
Perone's Home Page